Zusammenfassung:: The phonological analysis showed that personality features of charismatic and non-charismatic features could be mapped to the presence of distinct intonation contours, based on an adjective-characterisation survey.
Motivation:: Sprache verändert sich mit dem Menschen → wie wirkt sich das auf charismatische “Fähigkeiten” aus? z.B. im Bezug auf Krankheit (hier), Alter, Geschlecht
Ergebnisse:: Charisma perception is influenced by changes in speech through aging and sickness. Charisma can be divided into several subcategories, including leadership features and communicative behaviour. There are three distinct types of charisma: attracting, competent, authoritarian.
- Also begins by citing @weber1947’s “charisma as a superhuman power” + ”cult-like following”
- I definitley disagree with the notion that charisma can only be innate
- I agree with the “cult” thought, looking at Elon Musk and the like
- Interesting alternative POV: Charisma as the ideas that someone shares → knowledge over external factors
- Compare charismatic vs non-charismatic examples… How do they know which one is uncharismatic?
- Charisma = Features of a Leader, Displayed by communicative behaviour, “Transmitted” both through body and mind (p. 434)
- Find defining adjectives for charisma: online survey with 58 French participants, mostly women, mean age ~30 = selected 67 adjectives
- two samples from two speeches of politician Umberto Bossi, preand post-stroke condition
- Define 3 types of charismatic speech → Map adjectives on them
- Proactive-Attracting: dynamic leader moves captivated audience
- Benevolent-Competent: wise, calm, trustworthy
- Authoritarian-Threatening: self-oriented, dominant
- F0 Mean
- Online perception study with 40 French participants (keine Italienischkenntnisse!) → cues from sound alone
- The results section, also called: my nemesis
- Ohhhhhh, boy. Let’s dig into whatever this means:
The aim of the study presented here is to look at possible latent factors in the characteristics of charisma, and to test which of them are influenced by the acoustic-prosodic pattern of Bossi’s speech.
To do so, we tried to reduce the number of variables by finding a smaller number of factors to group our 67 adjectives.
First of all, through an Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA) we obtained twelve factors.
Then, we performed a Varimax Rotation of the factors obtained by the previous analysis.
We obtained a significant Bartlett’s test of sphericity (p=.000)
and an optimal Kaiser-Mayer Olkin (KMO) measure of Sampling Adequacy (.83).
- Online-Studien mit Adjektivzuordnungen scheinen the way to go zu sein → Welche Alternativen gibt es?
- Highlights:: highlights-zu-signorello2012
- Gelesen am:: 2022-10-24
Signorello, Rosario, Francesca Derrico, Isabella Poggi & Didier Demolin. 2012. How Charisma Is Perceived from Speech: A Multidimensional Approach. In 2012 International Conference on Social Computing, 435–440. Amsterdam, Netherlands: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/SocialCom-PASSAT.2012.68.